**IN THIS ISSUE**
1. Upcoming 11 am Services
2. Religious Education Happenings- Camp UU Continues!
3. Nursery Services available 9:45 am – 12:15 pm. We are actively seeking teens for paid nursery positions!
4. UU Buddhist Fellowship Meditation will NOT MEET again until August 17th
5. Adult RE at 10 am Sundays
6. UUFF Book Group Meets Thursday, July 24th at 7 pm at the McShane Home
7. Office Hours
8. Calendar for Upcoming UUFF Meetings and Events
9. July 2014 Beacon Link
1. Upcoming 11 am Services
7/27: “When in Rome” – UUFF member and UA student of psychology Courtney Burnett will share her recent experiences studying abroad in Italy. Burnett, a non-traditional student and mother of four, was a 2014 recipient of the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State. This award allows undergraduate students with high financial need the opportunity to study or participate in an internship abroad, develop valuable career and language skills, and prepare themselves for the global economy while serving as citizen ambassadors in their host country.
Aug. 3: Dr. Art Hobson will present: “RELIGIOUS IDEOLOGY AND THE HUMAN CONDITION.” This service will include a period for questions and answers.
Art Hobson PhD. is a Professor Emeritus of Physics, University of Arkansas. He is the author of “Physics Concepts and Connections” a text book adopted at over 130 colleges and several high schools. His latest book “Tales of the Quantum” will be available in 2015. He has written numerous articles, given numerous talks and writes a tri-weekly column for the Northwest Arkansas Times.
2. Religious Education Happenings and Summer (Camp UU) Schedule!!
JULY 27: All About Frogs with Susan Takigiku. Susan will show kids how frogs look, sound, and act, and will bring her own pet frog Carmen as a special guest!
Aug. 3: Thinking Outside the Gender Box with Rose Selvey and Lydia Nelson. Kids will learn what it means to have a gender and how to embrace gender differences.
Please follow link below for guide to weekly events, registration form, and permission form: http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/faith-development/children-and-youth/
3. Nursery Services available 9:45 am – 12:15 pm. As teens have a tendency to grow up and move on, we are now actively seeking teens for paid nursery positions! If you know a high school student who likes kids, needs a little extra money, and would like to add to their resume, send them to Rose Netherland! We are seeking responsible teens for the nursery during church hours on a regular, rotational basis. The hours include Sundays 9:45 to 12:15 and occasional extra hours for special events. For more information please contact our Nursery Coordinator, Rose Netherland, at (479) 442-9283 or at email@example.com .
4. UU Buddhist Fellowship Meditation WILL NOT MEET AGAIN UNTIL AUG. 17!
5. Adult RE at 10 am on Sundays
This Sunday, 7/27, Brooke Eldredge will lead us in a continuing discussion of Native American Spirituality.
6. UUFF Book Group Meets TONIGHT at 7 pm at the McShane Home
Book Group meets on the 4th Thursday of this month to discuss “Silent Spring,” by Rachel Carson- a non-fiction book for Earth Day. Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring was first published in three serialized excerpts in the New Yorker in June of 1962. The book appeared in September of that year and the outcry that followed its publication forced the banning of DDT and spurred revolutionary changes in the laws affecting our air, land, and water. Carson’s passionate concern for the future of our planet reverberated powerfully throughout the world, and her eloquent book was instrumental in launching the environmental movement. It is without question one of the landmark books of the twentieth century. Please contact Earl (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nancy (email@example.com) McShane for details and/or directions.
7. Office Hours
Monday: 1-4 pm
Tuesday/Wednesday: 12-3 pm
Thursday: 12-4 pm
8. Upcoming Meetings and Events
TODAY 7/24, 7 pm, Book Group Gathering, McShane Home
Sat. 8/2, 10 am, Women’s Wisdom Circle, Sanctuary
Sat. 8/9, 1-4 pm, Full Circle Adoption Support Mtg, UUFF
9. July 2014 Beacon is Online at http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/wp-content/uploads/July-2014-Beacon.pdf
UUFF Weekly Email Announcements are sent each Thursday. To get on the distribution list, send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit information for Weekly Emails to email@example.com by Wednesday noon.