THIS SUNDAY, May 24th …
11 am: “The Poetry of My Ministry.” On the eve of my installation to UUFF (on Sunday, the 31st), I’ll share the sermon I gave at the UUA’s Ministerial Fellowship Committee meeting where I was accepted into UU Ministerial Fellowship. It is a poem that holds my account of Unitarian Universalism, my journey, and my hopes for ministry, yours and mine together. Led by Rev. Jim Parrish.
Religious Education (RE), 10 -10:45 am, for Children, Youth, and Adults:
Children- Camp UU begins on June 7! Until then, on this Sunday and the next, please join us downstairs for a free- form game day! Bring the games, devices and art supplies that appeal to you and we’ll have a good time.
Adult Religious Exploration (ARE)- Discussion Group will be held in the east (far) side of the annex building across Storer St. Please use carport door entrance. Youth are welcome to join as well. This week, we will explore two elements of our history and spiritual practice: Minister Installation and the history of the flaming chalice.
Meditation will be held at 10:00 followed by a short reading and discussion between 10:30 – 10:45. It doesnʼt matter what type of meditation you do, or if you have ever meditated before, you are welcome to come meditate in the UUFF annex building (across Storer from UUFF in the west-nearest storer-side of the annex). ALL ARE WELCOME. Enter through the front door.
Nursery Services available 9:45 am – 12:15 pm
**Fair trade coffee, teas and chocolates will be available for sale in the foyer before and after services. Please help support our coffee hour by purchasing items from the cabinet, located just inside the front doors of the Fellowship**
- UUFF Cares
- Fellowship Coffee Update from our Social Justice Chair
- Choir Practice will be held at 6:30 pm on Wed, May 27th
- UUFF Book Group Meeting at 7 pm at the McShane Home TONIGHT, May 21st
- Stewardship Saturday scheduled for May 30th, 9am-12pm. Let’s all get together and make UUFF shine, inside and out-in special preparation for Rev. Jim’s Installation Celebration!
- THE INSTALLATION OF REVEREND JAMES PARRISH will occur at 4pm on Sunday, May 31st. All are welcome to attend.
- 2015/16 Pledge forms and Automated monthly drafts of your pledge payments available- link below or get a hard copy from the office
- Greeter and Coffee Hour Sign-Ups
- Mini-calendar of upcoming meetings and events
- SAVE THE DATE! Big Bad Gina GLBTQ Pride Concert to be held at UUFF on Saturday, June 13th! More details to follow.
- May Beacon link
1. UUFF Cares
Zoe, daughter of Julie Carrier, one of our former RE teachers, recently passed away in a car accident. Please contact Beard’s Funeral Chapel at the link below to send condolences to the family or to attend the memorial service this Saturday, May 23, 2015.
2. Fellowship Coffee Update from our Social Justice Chair
Greetings fellow UUFFers! Were you aware that the delicious Fair Trade Coffee we enjoy every Sunday during our after-service coffee hour is actually purchased with funds donated by you all? Well now you are! J We are currently running a tad low on coffee hour funds (and coffee!!), so if you would consider making a little donation for such a delectable cause, we’d surely appreciate it! You can put it in the collection basket (just write “coffee hour” on envelope or check memo) or give to Fawn in the office or Janis Walters. Thanks for your support!
3. UUFF Book Group Meeting at 7 pm at the McShane Home TONIGHT, May 21st.
The group will gather to discuss Debra Dean’s book “The Mirrored World”. Bring nibbles, and we’ll supply the drinks. Please contact Nancy McShane with any questions at (479) 236-5062.
4. Choir Rehearsal at 6:30 pm on Wednesday, May 27th
In preparation for Rev. Jim Parrish’s Installation Service at 4pm on May 31st, the choir will have another practice on Wednesday, May 27th at 6:30pm. We will be singing wonderful music and hope that all past, present and future members of the choir will join us for practice and the very special service. Contact Charlotte Taylor or Kristy Mezines is you are interested in joining! No musical talent or music-reading ability necessary. J
5. MAY STEWARDSHIP DAY #2! On Saturday, May 30th, from nine until noon, we will hold another Stewardship Day, especially geared to sprucing the place up for the following day’s Installation Celebration! There are many tasks that will help our buildings sparkle, and John King will have a list of projects in the gardens. Please come, if only for an hour. Come and enjoy the warmth of fellowship and the pride in making our gardens bloom and our buildings shine. Refreshments will be served! Thanks, Stewardship Committee
6. THE INSTALLATION OF REVEREND JAMES PARRISH will occur at 4pm on Sunday, May 31st.
All are welcome to attend. Please let office know if you are bringing children who need nursery care.
7. 2015/16 Pledge forms and ACH / Automated monthly drafts of your pledge payments are available for your convenience. See links below:
You may now have your UUFF pledge payments or contributions automatically drafted from your bank account in monthly installments! Pledge cards, Fair Share Giving chart, and ACH authorization forms are all available to view / print at: http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/leadership-forms/
If you don’t have printing capabilities, you can also get a hard copy from Fawn in the office. If you are interested in this time and paper saving opportunity please complete the authorization form and place it in Susie Schroeder’s Treasurer mailbox or give it to Fawn. The payments will be drafted on the 5th of each month (or shortly thereafter), and we’ll do our very best to get your payments started in the month following the month your authorization is received. If you have any questions please contact Susie Schroeder at email@example.com or 521-2644.
8. Greeter and Coffee Hour Sign-Ups
What does it mean to be a welcoming community? One thing is to greet those who come on Sunday morning with a warm smile, a hardy handshake and a friendly reminder to wear their nametag….
We would like to have three greeters each Sunday. One to be aware of visitors, another to be sure everyone gets an order of service and a third for backup and to direct folks to the sanctuary, RE or bathrooms.
It takes a village to make warmth and welcoming a reality every Sunday morning and YOU CAN HELP! Below is a link to the Greeter Volunteer sign- up sheet. Please take a moment to put your name down for one or two Sundays.
Coffee Hour Hosting is another very important opportunity to serve. You can sign up as a volunteer to host via this link: https://docs.go-ogle.com/spreadsheets/d/17bmSY2FfoZjyubPnjYfNuzVd9QG-XRAvm0zUqKNPNMc/edit?usp=sharing
You will receive a reminder a few days before your shift with a list of greeter duties to help orient you. Most Sundays will have a lead greeter from the Membership Committee to help make this important task fun and anxiety free!
9. Upcoming Meetings and Events
|Th. 5/21||7 pm||UUFF Book Group Meeting||McShane Home|
|Wed. 5/27||6:30 pm||Choir Practice||Sanctuary|
|Sat. 5/30||9-noon||Stewardship Day for Installation||UUFF Buildings/Grounds|
|Sun. 5/31||4 pm||REV. JIM PARRISH’S INSTALLATION CELEBRATION!||UUFF|
10. SAVE THE DATE!! Big Bad Gina GLBTQ Pride Concert to be hosted by UUFF the evening of Saturday, June 13th! Mark your calendars! More details to follow.
11. The May Beacon is Online at http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/wp-content/uploads/May-2015-Beacon.pdf
UUFF Weekly Email Announcements are sent each Thursday. To get on the distribution list, send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit information for Weekly Emails to above email addresses by Wednesday noon.