THIS SUNDAY, December 21st….
11 am: Rev. Jim Parrish will lead us in “A Christmas Solstice Service.” Sometimes we just have to let the story lead us to our center, to our hearts, and let love inform our rational brains as to what is real in our search for relationship, for meaning. Let’s explore our holiday sources and find the simple connection, or interconnection, that should be there.
7 pm “Solstice Ritual,” ….to deepen our connections to the natural cycles of change to which we belong. The ritual will be followed by a dessert potluck and bonfire outside! Led by Kathy Skaggs
**The usual 10 am Religious Education hour for children, youth, and adults is on break through end of year**
Nursery Services available 10:45 am – 12:15 pm (note later start time due to the usual 10 am Religious Education hour being on break until end of year).
**Fair trade coffee, teas and chocolates will be available for sale in the foyer before and after services. Please help support our coffee hour by purchasing items from the cabinet, located just inside the front doors of the Fellowship**
- Annual Winter Jazz Concert TOMORROW, December 19th!! Scholarship tickets available and FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD below!
- Choir Director Sought!
- Administrator/Custodian Schedule for the coming week–on vacation 12/22-26!
- Like us on Facebook and join our discussion group!
- Brooke Eldredge and Family
- Susan and David Schroeder are new grandparents!
- Manon Wilson- update
- RE PROGRAMMING UPDATE
- Our Whole Lives (O.W.L.) for 9-12 yr. olds scheduled to begin in January of 2015!
- ACH / Automated monthly drafts of your pledge payments are now available!
- UUFF Book Group, Holiday Party TONIGHT!
- Champagne and Chocolates-Open House-All Women of the Fellowship Invited-Saturday, December 20th, 4-6 pm!
- Greeter Sign-Up
- Mini-calendar of upcoming meetings and events
- December 2014 Beacon link
1. Please join us TOMORROW, December 19th for our traditional celebration of the season with the Claudia Burson Trio! (See flyer above). This year, the trio will be joined by guitarist, Ben Harris. Tickets are $25 per person and include a wine and appetizer reception following the concert. You may reserve tickets by contacting Fawn in the UUFF office. Doors will open at 7pm, and the performance will begin at 7:30. All proceeds benefit UUFF programming. Please contact Gretchen Wilkes at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Scholarship tickets are available. **Special Note: With grateful appreciation for the support of the community, the trio has made a holiday CD available free of charge. Go to the band’s web page: www.cbursontrio.com to download this music.**
2. Choir Director Sought:
To continue the great music we have had this fall, we are in search of a choir director. This person will work with Reverend Parrish and Rhimmon Simchy-Gross to create meaningful services and add musical opportunities at UUFF. If you know of someone who has the ability and interest, please direct them to someone on the search committee. Members are:
Charlotte Taylor, Jan Groh, Gene Vinzant, Rev. Parrish
3. Administrator/Custodian Schedule for the coming week–on vacation 12/22-26!
I (Fawn) am heading out of town for the Christmas holiday! I will leave the morning of Monday, 12/22 and return to work on Saturday, 12/27. I’ll check email periodically from Mom’s place, so you can still let me know of any urgent needs, and I’ll do my best to help from afar. Oh, and if you happen to come by the fellowship during my outage and wouldn’t mind neatening up (supplies in upstairs janitor closet) by sweeping, spot mopping, vacuuming front rugs, wiping little fingerprints off the front door glass, etc, I’d be much obliged. Happy Holidays, all!
4. Like Us on Facebook!
Stay connected through the week and get updates on Fellowship happenings by connecting with us on Facebook – facebook.com/UUFFinfo Would you like to help us create our Facebook content? Contact Shawna Thorup for details.
Join our Facebook Discussion Group!
Members are encouraged join our Facebook Discussion Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/uuffgroup/ This is currently as a restricted forum for UUFF Members 16 years of age or older to discuss Unitarian Universalist topics, theology, activities, and actions.
5. Brooke Eldredge and Family
Please keep the Eldredge Family in your thoughts and hearts as they navigate through this very difficult time in the loss of their son, Blake. Contact information to send a sympathy card or condolences to the Eldredge Family: 11285 Mountain Springs Dr., Fayetteville, AR 72701, email@example.com
Brooke and Dale are very thankful for all the kindness, sympathy, and meals that have been offered. Brooke is planning to return to UUFF activities the beginning of January, 2015.
6. Susie and David Schroeder are new grandparents! Grandson, Rex David Netzband, was born on Dec. 15 at 6 lbs. 10 oz. Both mother and son are doing well after a very long labor ordeal. Contact information to send congratulations: 2700 Rosewood Dr., Fayetteville, AR 72703, firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Manon Wilson, long-time friend of UUFF, was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer. Manon is recovering from the surgery she underwent on Dec. 16. Please send healing thoughts and prayers. To send a card, Manon’s address is 1407 E. Rosemont St., Fayetteville, AR 72703.
8. RE PROGRAMMING UPDATE!
Programming through the rest of the holiday is as follows:
On Sundays, December 21 and December 28, we will have no programming, and there will be no childcare for the 10 o’clock hour.
On Sunday, January 4, we’ll have a last-day-of-vacation Hurrah with a pajama party, warm cocoa, and a movie at the 10 o’clock hour. (The movie may extend some into the 11 o’clock hour.) Wear your PJ’s, bring a pillow and stuffed animal, and join us downstairs in the first classroom.
Regular classes will resume on January 11 with K-1 in the Jungle Room, 2nd-3rd in the Rainbow Chalice Room, and 4th-6th in the “other” classroom (which as of yet has not been named, though the children in that class are working on it!). Youth programming for children in grades 7-12 is under development. Please look forward to a notice about youth programming picking back up soon.
9. Parents of 9-12 year olds! Our Whole Lives, the UU sexuality course, will begin in January and will be led by our specially-trained instructors, Teresa Honey Youngblood, REC, and Lydia Nelson, DONA-trained doula. OWL helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior and provides accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture. Grounded in a holistic view of sexuality, OWL not only provides facts about anatomy and human development, but also helps participants clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality. If you are interested in enrolling your child or would like more information, please contact Teresa or Lydia.
10. ACH / Automated monthly drafts of your pledge payments are now available!
You may now have your UUFF pledge payments or contributions automatically drafted from your bank account in monthly installments. Authorization forms are available at: http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/wp-content/uploads/UUFF-ACH-Authorization-form-11.11.14.pdf If you don’t have printing capabilities, you can also get a hard copy from Fawn in the office. If you are interested in this time and paper saving opportunity please complete the authorization form and place it in Susie Schroeder’s Treasurer mailbox or give it to Fawn. The payments will be drafted on the 5th of each month (or shortly thereafter), and we’ll do our very best to get your payments started in the month following the month your authorization is received. If you have any questions please contact Susie Schroeder at email@example.com or 521-2644.
11. UUFF Book Group, Holiday Party TONIGHT at 7 pm!
DECEMBER 18, 2014 – The Annual Dirty Santa Holiday Party – Choose a book that has meaning to you; it could be a favorite as a child, a book that changed your outlook or just one of your favorite books. It can be a copy off your own shelf or you can buy it new or used online or from one of the area’s great used book stores. Wrap it and put it under the tree. We’ll share holiday food & drink before unwrapping the books—the giver letting the group know why the book is important to them. Always a great load of fun—everyone is invited.
Please contact Nancy (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Earl (email@example.com ) McShane with any questions.
12. Champagne and Chocolates-Open House-All Women of the Fellowship Invited!
Saturday afternoon, December 20th, 4-6 pm.
An invitation from Women’s Wisdom Circle. Take a break, drop in.
At the home of Sue Coppernoll, 3232 Shale, Fayetteville, AR (479) 449-6875
Favorite chocolates to share are welcome!
13. Greeter Sign-Up
What does it mean to be a welcoming community? One thing is to greet those who come on Sunday morning with a warm smile, a hardy handshake and a friendly reminder to wear their nametag…
We would like to have three greeters each Sunday. One to be aware of visitors, another to be sure everyone gets an order of service and a third for backup and to direct folks to the sanctuary, RE or bathrooms.
It takes a village to make warmth and welcoming a reality every Sunday morning and YOU CAN HELP! Below is a link to an online sign- up sheet. Please take a moment to put your name down for one or two Sundays.
You will receive a reminder a few days before your shift with a list of greeter duties to help orient you. Most Sundays will have a lead greeter from the Membership Committee to help make this important task fun and anxiety free!
We appreciate your volunteer spirit! The Membership Committee
14. Upcoming Meetings and Events
|Thu. 12/18||7 pm||UUFF Book Group Christmas Party||McShane’s|
|Fri. 12/19||7 pm||UUFF Winter Jazz Concert!||UUFF|
|Sat. 12/20||4-6 pm||Champagne & Chocolates-Women’s Wisdom Circle||See #???|
|Sat. 12/20||4-7 pm||Ozark Druids Meeting||Sanctuary|
|Sun. 12/21||7 -9 pm||Winter Solstice Ritual and bonfire||UUFF|
|12/22-12/26||All day||Administrator/Custodian on Vacation||Not Here!!|
|Wed. 12/24||6 pm||Christmas Eve Candlelight Service||Sanctuary|
|Thu. 12/25||All day||UUFF CLOSED for holiday||__________|
15. The December 2014 Beacon is Online at http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/wp-content/uploads/December-2014-Beacon.pdf
UUFF Weekly Email Announcements are sent each Thursday. To get on the distribution list, send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit information for Weekly Emails to above email addresses by Wednesday noon.