THIS SUNDAY, November 30th ….
11 am Service: The UU Way of Fear, led by Rev. Jim Parrish. We are always living in “interesting times,” and it seems there is much to fear in our lives. The media is full of what to fear next, and what they don’t talk about but we are all watching happen (like climate change) is even more frightening! Does our liberal faith hold any comfort for us in this onslaught? What do we hold onto?
Religious Education (RE), 10 -10:45 am, for Children, Youth, and Adults:
- Children- Regular classes will be held downstairs.
- Adult Religious Exploration (ARE)- Discussion Group will be held downstairs in the open classroom area. Youth are welcome to join in discussions as well. Brooke Eldredge will lead a discussion on the origin of the idea of god, based on a chapter in the book, Religion: 50 ideas you really need to know by Peter Stanford. **The UU Meditation Group has been put on hold until interest level can be properly assessed. Please contact Caroline Lennox (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested.
Nursery Services available 9:45 am – 12:15 pm
- Minister’s Schedule
- ACH / Automated monthly drafts of your pledge payments are now available!
- Thanksgiving Potluck Meal TOMORROW- Nov. 27th
- Come Help Beautify Our UUFF Grounds this Saturday, November 29th, between 8:30 and 11:30!
- Death Café – first ever in Arkansas-held here at UUFF on December 3rd!
- Women’s Wisdom Circle Will Meet at 10 am on Saturday, 12/6
- Hanging of the Greens- Saturday, December 6th at 1 pm!
- The Ozark Druids will meet on Saturday, 12/6, at 4 pm in the Sanctuary.
- New Member Ceremony- Sunday, 12/14
- Annual Winter Jazz Concert on December 19th!!
- Reminder that the Final Council of Committees Meeting of 2014 will be held after services on Sunday, December 21st.
- Greeter Sign-Up
- Mini-calendar of upcoming meetings and events
- NEW December 2014 Beacon link
- OUTSIDE EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES-Upcoming Training Events through The Arkansas Master Naturalist Organization
1. Minister’s Schedule-December
I tend to be in the office Tuesday through Thursday from 10am to 2pm, however call first to make sure I haven’t been called away or have another appointment. Appointments are best! Either let the office know or call at my Office Cell: 479-439-1415, or email me at email@example.com. I want to meet with you! Except Mondays… Mondays are my day off! Exceptions for emergencies of course.
Planned days out of the office for December, 2014:
I will be taking time to visit with family between Christmas and New Year’s. Otherwise just normal days off.
2. ACH / Automated monthly drafts of your pledge payments are now available!
You may now have your UUFF pledge payments or contributions automatically drafted from your bank account in monthly installments. Authorization forms are available at: http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/wp-content/uploads/UUFF-ACH-Authorization-form-11.11.14.pdf If you don’t have printing capabilities, you can also get a hard copy from Fawn in the office. If you are interested in this time and paper saving opportunity please complete the authorization form and place it in Susie Schroeder’s Treasurer mailbox or give it to Fawn. The payments will be drafted on the 5th of each month (or shortly thereafter), and we’ll do our very best to get your payments started in the month following the month your authorization is received. If you have any questions please contact Susie Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org or 521-2644.
3. UUFF Thanksgiving Potluck- We’ll gather in the Sanctuary at noon TOMORROW. Please sign up in the lobby (sheet on table under bulletin board) or just show up with something to contribute-even if it can only be your company. J ALL are welcome!
4. Come Help Beautify Our UUFF Grounds this Saturday, November 29th, between 8:30 and 11:30! Thanks for all of the hard work last Saturday to make our buildings look great. Now it is time to clean up the leaves and complete other outside tasks that couldn’t be done last week because of the rain. Please contact John King email@example.com with any questions. THANKS!
5. Death Café –First Ever in Arkansas-Happening Right Here at UUFF!
Members and Friends of UUFF are warmly invited to join us Wednesday, December 3rd, from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the Sanctuary to talk about that part of life we will all eventually face: Death.
Death Café is an international movement — more than 1200 Death Cafes have been held worldwide since 2011. The purpose is simple: to provide a safe space to talk about our thoughts, fears, opinions, questions and wishes concerning our eventual demise so that we can live more fully in the present moment. Basically, we’ll have some cake and coffee and talk about death.
Reservations are required and please make SURE that you let us know if you need childcare. Sign up with the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call Theresa Parrish at 773-322-7164.
6. Women’s Wisdom Circle Will Meet at 10 am on Saturday, 12/6, in the Sanctuary. All who identify as women are welcome. The group meets every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month. Contact Carol Tarvin with questions email@example.com
7. Hanging of the Greens- Saturday, December 6th at 1 pm! Please join us in the tradition of Hanging of the Greens. Gather up any scraps you may find at tree lots, etc, and come beautify our fellowship with the signs of the season! Contact David Edwards with questions- firstname.lastname@example.org
8. The Ozark Druids will meet on Saturday, 12/6, at 4 pm in the Sanctuary. Contact Tressa Disney with any questions email@example.com
9. New Member Ceremony- Sunday, 12/14
Help us welcome our newest members on Sunday, December 14th!
Rev. Parrish will conduct a new member ceremony during service for those who have completed the Path to Membership classes and those who are transferring from other UU congregations. This is also the annual Christmas Pageant Sunday, which is a ton of fun!
Join us afterwards for a light lunch hosted by the Membership Committee and celebrate the growth of our congregation!
10. Please join us on Friday, December 19th for our traditional celebration of the season with the Claudia Burson Trio! (See flyer above). This year, the trio will be joined by guitarist, Ben Harris. Tickets are $25 per person and include a wine and appetizer reception following the concert. You may purchase tickets for the event in the foyer on Sundays beginning Nov. 23rd, or may reserve them by contacting Fawn in the UUFF office. Doors will open at 7pm and the performance will begin at 7:30. All proceeds benefit UUFF programming. Please contact Gretchen Wilkes at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
11. Reminder that the Final Council of Committees Meeting of 2014 will be held after services on Sunday, December 21st. Please contact Brooke Eldredge with any questions.
12. Greeter Sign-Up
What does it mean to be a welcoming community? One thing is to greet those who come on Sunday morning with a warm smile, a hardy handshake and a friendly reminder to wear their nametag….
We would like to have three greeters each Sunday. One to be aware of visitors, another to be sure everyone gets an order of service and a third for backup and to direct folks to the sanctuary, RE or bathrooms.
It takes a village to make warmth and welcoming a reality every Sunday morning and YOU CAN HELP! Below is a link to an online sign- up sheet. Please take a moment to put your name down for one or two Sundays.
You will receive a reminder a few days before your shift with a list of greeter duties to help orient you. Most Sundays will have a lead greeter from the Membership Committee to help make this important task fun and anxiety free!
We appreciate your volunteer spirit! The Membership Committee
13. Upcoming Meetings and Events
|Thu. 11/27||12 pm||UUFF Thanksgiving Potluck Gathering||Sanctuary|
|Sat. 11/29||8:30 am||Work Day on the UUFF Grounds, 8:30-11:30 am||UUFF|
|Wed. 12/3||7 pm||Death Café – First Ever in Arkansas||Sanctuary|
|Sat. 12/6||10 am||Women’s Wisdom Circle Gathering||Sanctuary|
|Sat. 12/6||1 pm||Hanging of the Greens||UUFF|
|Sat. 12/6||4 pm||Ozark Druids Meeting||Sanctuary|
|Sun. 12/7||3 pm+||Sanctuary Reserved for non-member event||Sanctuary|
|Tue. 12/9||6:30 pm||Finance Committee Meeting||UUFF|
|Tue. 12/9||7 pm||UUFF Outreach-Sharing Our Message Online||Sanctuary|
14. The NEW December 2014 Beacon is Online at http://fayettevilleunitarian.org/wp-content/uploads/December-2014-Beacon.pdf
15. OUTSIDE EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
A. Upcoming Training Events through the Arkansas Master Naturalist Organization. This is a state-wide non-profit organization devoted to developing a corps of well-informed volunteers providing education, outreach and service supporting the management of natural resources and natural areas in local communities. Our 2015 Training classes are now open for registration and classes will begin February 21st. The classes are held on Saturdays at various locations across the NWA region according to the subject matter. Please visit the website at home.arkansasmasternaturalists.org to view the tentative class schedule and apply.
Bobbie Hackler, Communications/NWAMNemail@example.com
UUFF Weekly Email Announcements are sent each Thursday. To get on the distribution list, send your name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit information for Weekly Emails to above email addresses by Wednesday noon.